Our organization was established in 1937 with the initial purpose of fundraising for the building of the original Church of the Archangels Michael and Gabriel in Adelaide, the first Greek
Orthodox Church of Adelaide and later to assist Greek Migrants settling in South Australia.
Over the years the Society has served and continues to serve the Greek Orthodox Community adapting to its changing needs which include providing social and cultural engagement, recreation for the socially isolated, carers and the elderly and their increased participation in society in general.
As an organization we have broadened our philanthropic goals and also collaborate with people who share similar visions.
The Society’s initiatives are not confined to the needs of the Greek community, but also extend to other actions within and outside South Australia.
The Greek Women’s Society has assisted and supported people in financial distress, misfortune and victims of floods and earthquakes. It has also made donations to many organizations and institutions and has contributed financially to the restoration of monuments in South Australia as well as towards the the Helen Spence statue which was commissioned for Light Square.
On a final note it is important to mention the social contribution of the Greek Women's Society of S.A to the position of women in South Australian society. Inadvertently, through its efforts and actions, the Society enhanced the role of Greek women, at a time when such a step was yet to be accepted by other ethnic communities.