The first annual Grecian ball was held on the 28th of September 1951 at the Palais Royal under the distinguished patronage of the Lord Mayor of Adelaide Mr. A. Rymill. as a philanthropic event to raise funds for the Adelaide Children’s Hospital.
It was co-organized by the Greek Women’s Society “Taxiarchis and the Greek Orthodox Community of SA GOCSA. The President of the Greek Orthodox Community of SA Inc, Mr. T. Chaousis welcomed the offical guests.
The first organizing committee was comprised of the following members of the Greek Women’s Association “ Taxiarchis Mrs. M. Lucas, Mrs. M. Mangos, Miss C.H. Spirou and Miss De Nikias as well as Mr. M. Lucas, Mr. C. Mangos, Mr.A. N. Scopelitis
The Matron of Honour for this first Grecian Ball was Mrs. Emmanuel Stoupos who was President of the Greek Women’s Society of SA “ Taxiarchis” at the time.
The ball became a regular annual event and continued until 2007. Over the 57 years of its existence, many young women and their partners participated and made their “ debut “ in society.
It was the formal “ coming out event for young Greek- Australians (men and women). The debutantes and their partners performed rehearsed Greek traditional dances such as the Hasapiko, Kalamatiano and Hasaposerviko as well as ballroom dances including the Waltz and Tango.
The Grecian Ball was a formal black tie event with official guests of honour, many of whom were prominent state and federal politicians. Every year the Grecian Ball was attended by representatives from the political and public arena along with Community members and friends. Men and women both Greek and Australian donned their ball gowns and tuxedos to attend this glamorous event in order to support both its charitable cause and witness the official " coming out" of the debutantes and their partners
After the official inauguration of the Olympic Hall in 1957 the event was held there for many years. In the latter years, the venue was changed and it was also held at, the Hilton, Hyatt hotels and other prestigious venues.